Danny Lee "Woody" Wood Obituary
RISING STAR, Texas — Danny Lee “Woody” Wood of Rising Star, Texas ended a three-year battle for his health Monday night, May 23, at Scott and
White Hospital in Temple, Texas. He is finally at peace and pain free. He was 61.
Family will gather in a private invitation-only service to celebrate his life.
There will be an open visitation from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday, June 2, at Heartland Funeral Home, 303 Early Blvd., Early, TX 76802.
Mr. Wood was born July 21,1954 to Billy Mack and Elizabeth Ernestine Chapman Wood in Odessa, Texas and graduated from Big Spring High School in 1971
and continued with community college. He married Patti Jo Peck of Midland April 12, 1987. Together they made their life in Rising Star, Texas as ranchers and proud
Texans expending great efforts to help the people around them as well as many charities.
Mr. Wood began a professional music career as a drummer at the early age of 10. Later he joined a touring band that played under several names through the years and
opened concerts for a number of well-known bands such as ZZ Top, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Colt 45. One of his favorite memories was sitting in as drummer with
Brooks and Dunn during a private party in Tennessee.
He enjoyed ranching and was an avid competitor in the cutting horse arena for many years earning a variety of awards. He was and is an avid Rangers fan,
even when they aren’t winning.
Surviving Mr. Wood is his wife, Patti, as well as many cousins and close friends.
He is preceded in death by his parents and several aunts and uncles.
Casket bearers will be Steve Hill, Jerry Rainey, Justin Rainey, Fred Waggner, Joel McCready and Scott Yeoman.
In lieu of flowers the family asks that friends and relatives remember the charities important to Mr. Wood. They are:
• Expedition Balance (helping veterans regain balance in their lives), Attn.: Carl, 1026 Heights Blvd., Ste. 8, Houston, TX 7708;
• Camp Able (helping children with autism and learning disabilities), Attn.: Lota Zoth, P. O. Box 695, Buffalo Gap, TX 79508;
• Chase’s Place (helping individuals with autism), Attn.: Lori Myers, The Warren Center, 320 Custer Road, Richardson, TX 75080;
• Brain Performance Institute of Dallas (improving brain performance in veterans and others of all ages), Attn.: Keeshaun Coffey,
2200 West Mockingbird Lane, Dallas, TX 75235;
• Grace After Fire (helping women veterans find self renewal), Attn.: Sue Watkins, First Financial Bank, P. O. Box 280, Mineral Wells, TX 76068;
• Trinity School (private school), Attn: Kobi Lincoln, Director of Advancement, CFRE, 3500 West Wadley Ave., Midland, TX 79707; and
• Buckmasters Life Hunts (dedicated to aiding members of the outdoor community who need assistance), P. O. Box 851, Bangs, TX 76823.